Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lexington: a blue city in a red state

There are a few "blue" cities in a few red states. Cities tend to be more liberal than rural areas as a general rule, but some are better known than others. Austin, Texas is one, but I learned that Lexington is another.

Please cherish the photo below. The man in the middle is Andrew Owen, a friend from the NDP a couple of years back. He participated in an internship that brought a bunch of American students to various offices on Parliament Hill. He worked with me in Nathan Cullen's office.

Rachel Wilson, who kindly went out of her way to meet up with Andrew and me for a little while to catch up, interned in Liberal Mike Savage's office down the hall. Such a nice person.

Simply put, Andrew is a rock star. And he was going to a jungle-themed sorority party in the get-up you see pictured. Missing is his pair of pants. Leather (or pleather, I guess). Owen is a hero among his floormates and fraternity brothers at Transylvania University.


Unfortunately, the timing of the bus schedule meant I couldn't attend that party. Imagine the stories. Well, another time soon, perhaps.

Andrew, Rachel, thanks for the welcome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you meant the camera only got you guys waist and above, but you make it sound like he didn't have pants on.

KimBethke said...

Andrew looks incredible. If he wasn't missing his pants then, he was by the end of the night!
Heey-o!

I miss that kid, I hope you said "Hi" for me.

and I hope you realize I got some kind of google thing just to talk to you again because I miss you so desperately.

You are too awesome.