Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where the other half live(d)

Lived, because very few people still live in New Orleans' Lower Ninth ward. It's impossible for me to convey the lingering devastation in that part of town. I'm sure words can describe the situation on the ground, but nothing I can compose would do it justice.

Four years later, the infamous markings on the houses used by search-and-rescue teams are still there -- some faded, some as vivid as when they were sprayed. Some families live in the houses, and kids walk past these markings as they run in and out of their front doors.

I didn't take pictures, and if I had I'm not sure I would post them here, or anywhere. They are already all over the Internet. And these are peoples' homes, whether the owners are dead or alive, long gone or staying put.

Come to think of it, the lower ninth has no lingering devastation. That takes the situation quite lightly. Only a 15-minute drive from the French Quarter and this weekend's Hallowe'en parties, there sits a neighbourhood -- and there are others -- that died four years ago.

It might be on life support now, and things might be improving in small doses, but a refurbished lower ninth wouldn't be a resurrection. It would be a new neighbourhood built on top of a graveyard.

That's not all there is to say. Not even close. But everyone should come to New Orleans and understand the situation. It is dire.

I did it again. I understated it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did it a bit of justice there. Powerful stuff.

Unknown said...

Pretty respectful of you not to post pictures. It's a good choice.

Anonymous said...

Well written. I was in NOL pre-Katrina, and I remember going past the Lower Ninth Ward on the highway. Even then, I was struck by how impoverished it looked, even the worst areas of our cities have no true comparisons. I can't even imagine what it must be like now.

Unknown said...

Pretty evocative prose, fellah. We get the picture even without the jpegs. What is sad is that this is where many Black Americans lived. If the lilywhites had lived in the Lower Ninth, it would be restored today. IMHO, you've uncovered the real America.