Thursday, October 23, 2008

Map update: 23 October


This is my progress so far. Next stop is Charleston, West Virginia. The bus leaves tonight at 1 a.m. Then it's on to Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi (briefly) and Louisiana.

UPDATE: Part of the itinerary for the next few days looks like this:

D.C. to Charleston, WV
02h15 to 14h45
Overnight

Charleston to Lexington, KY
01h30 to 13h25
Overnight

Lexington to Nashville, TN
22h30 to 05h20
Overnight

Then a hostel/motel!

Nashville to Birmingham, AL
11h20 to 15h50
And then a motel, for sure!

Three nights on a bus in a row. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I think not. I guess we'll see.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes as much sense as touring the States in a month.

As an aside, my word verification word for this post is "procreate". I think it's a sign or something.

Philippe said...

When crossing from Ontario to California I spent one night in a Greyhound (including going through the US customs at Detroit) and 2 in a train. Amtrak is much more comfortable, especially after the night in the bus, as long as you have a pillow and blanket (it gets really cold).

On the positive side, it seems you're going to nicer and nicer weather as your itinerary progresses - as long as no hurricanes show up.

Nick said...

Philippe,

I really want to take the train in California. Perhaps right to Berkeley!

Unknown said...

Three nights in a bus ... guess you'll be "dog-tired"!!

Philippe said...

hi Nick,

seems like a good choice. I've only seen a little section of the California coast (north of CF) but it's quite scenic.

you should check the Coast Starlight Amtrak route (LA to Seattle):
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1081256321841&c=am2Route&ssid=135

I heard however that trains can run really late in the west coast (my train coming here got stuck 3 hours in the Sierra Nevada). this is because Union Pacific owns the rails and their freight trains get priority.